Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Upcycled

Today I'm especially inspired by the recycled products I've seen out there. For me, these products are not only great for the environment because they have been made from recycled products, but they are just downright chic.


Crazy Crayons

Now that my friends are starting to have kids, it's likely they will be seeing these crafty crayons during Christmas time. Through the National Crayon Recycle Program, Crazy Crayon has collected and upcycled over 73,000 pounds of craft stubs and art-box misfits into beautifully crafted materials. My favorite of their products is the EcoStars. I wouldn't know, but they claim the star shape is a perfect grab for little hands. You can see and order their products from their Facebook page.






Wine Punts

After finding this site, I knew it made #3 on my Christmas list this year. The hardest decision I'm trying to make right now is clear or olive. Definitely olive! No, no, what about clear? Anyway, this company carefully crafts the bottom of wine bottles, donated from participating restaurants, into 12 ounce or 16 ounce sized drinking glasses. The site boasts their wine punts hold up better than traditional glassware and I can imagine why. Fun fact: the punt (the indentation) in the bottle was an outcome of the glass making process. Some argue it was never "fixed" because it gave structural integrity to the bottles. Whatever the reason, it just looks downright cool. Wine Punts offers wholesale programs too for restaurant and shop owners. I know I'd be talking about the glassware if my seltzer water came to my table in this.








Nike's ReUSE a Shoe

While the end result may not be something stylish you can buy, I think Nike's ReUSE a Shoe program is incredibly cool. Over 25 million pairs of shoes have been collected since 1990 to be made into running tracks and sports courts as part of their community investment programs. If you want to learn more about how the program works, visit nikereuseashoe.com. You'll find a cutesy video about the recycling process and where drop off locations are globally.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Reads: